Tell Congress & the White House that you OPPOSE Trump’s Rewritten Order to Halt Refugee Resettlement and Discriminate against Individuals from Certain Countries
President Trump has rewritten his executive order to ban travelers from six Muslim-majority countries for 90 days; suspend refugee resettlement for 120 days; and drastically reduce the number of refugees the United States welcomes from 110,000 to 50,000, a historic low. Make no mistake – this new order intends to have the same impact as the original executive order, while avoiding court proceedings.
By barring individuals from Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen, this rewritten executive order remains a Muslim ban. Banning refugees from all countries for 120 days will grind refugee processing to a halt. Refugees are already the most thoroughly vetted individuals in the United States, undergoing biographic and biometric checks, medical screenings, forensic document testing, and in-person interviews. Each step of the process is time sensitive, so any pause will cause checks to expire and force refugees who have already been approved to wait months and even years to go through multiple security checks all over again, while their lives hang in the balance.
Disastrous consequences of the initial executive order are still reverberating around the world. These orders are gut-wrenching for our community members who are waiting to be reunited with a family member, and for refugees overseas with no other options for safety than to be resettled. It is critical that all Members of Congress and President Trump hear their constituents decry these announcements and declare their support for refugees from all over the world.
CALL YOUR MEMBER OF CONGRESS TODAY!
Your Senators and Representatives: (202) 224-3121*
*Please call this line 3 times to be connected with your 1 Representative and 2 Senators
Sample Script: “I’m your constituent from [City, State], and I support refugee resettlement. I strongly oppose President Trump’s executive order against refugees – both the original and the rewritten version. The order will bar individuals from Syria, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen; grind refugee resettlement from all countries to a halt; and reduce the number of refugees we welcome to 50,000, a historic low. This is morally reprehensible and does not reflect the welcome for refugees I see in my community every day. I urge you to do everything in your power to see this executive order rescinded.”
Please also share a personal story about why refugee resettlement is important to you, your community, etc. Let them know the specific ways that refugees contribute and are welcomed into your community. You can also tweet @ your Senators/Representatives with the same message.
The best ways to make your voice heard by President Trump and the White House is by tweeting @realDonaldTrump and @WhiteHouse; posting a comment on Facebook.com/WhiteHouse; and submitting an electronic message at whitehouse.gov/contact.
- .@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Don’t stop welcoming refugees. Resettlement demonstrates the best of our values #RefugeesWelcome
- .@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Keep America welcoming. Refugee resettlement is a proud American legacy with bipartisan support #RefugeesWelcome
- Real FACT: #Refugees are the most vetted group to enter the US. #RefugeesWelcome
- .@RealDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse: Today’s EO is the same unconstitutional EO we saw last month & we are still against it. #RefugeesWelcome
You can also take action by organizing or joining Rapid Response Vigils in your area!
Click HERE to learn more!
- RCUSA refugee 101 backgrounder
- RCUSA background on the security screening process
- Refugee Resettlement State Profiles
- Letters and articles, national and state-by-state, demonstrating welcome for refugees
- Letter from former Secretaries of the Department of Homeland Security
- Letter to Congress from 20 Former National Security Officials
- Former U.S. Officials Sign Letter to President Trump Rejecting Revised Refugee Ban Executive Order
- Letter signed by more than 5,000 faith leaders affirming welcome for refugees
- Top evangelical leaders from all 50 states call on President Trump and Vice President Pence to support refugees
- Over 1900 Rabbis support welcoming refugees
- 80 CEOs and business leaders across 12 industries call on President Trump to uphold refugee and immigration policies that affirm the equal opportunity of the American Dream
- 1,000 health care professionals sign letter to President Trump affirming support for refugees and resettlement
- Quotes from faith leaders in opposition to refugee executive order
- Stories of refugees impacted, including responses to the announcement from Syrian, Iraqi, Cambodian, and Bhutanese refugees.
Share This Message with Your State and Local Officials
Your state and local leaders need to hear the same message too. Tell them that your community opposed this announcement and welcomes refugees. To find your governor, state legislators, mayor, and local officials, click here: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials. To tweet your state and local officials, click to find the twitter handles for your governor and state legislators.