Download Toolkit Here
Let me tell you a story about Deborah, a Ugandan mom who was resettled in Ohio and is separated from her 3 daughters and 12-year-old son. Her petitions to reunify her family were approved by the U.S. government in January 2017 but have been delayed due to President Trump’s executive orders. Recently, the administration announced another refugee ban that will significantly delay Deborah's chance to see her children again, perhaps indefinitely.
President Trump and his administration have engaged in systematic attacks against refugees, and we're already seeing the painful human impact of these attacks. Trump's historically low refugee cap, multiple refugee bans, and efforts to halt family reunification are hurting our families, our congregations, and our communities. Our capacity as a nation to welcome refugees - a core tenet across faith traditions - is being threatened. As people who care about refugees, we must make sure we have a swift and powerful response to the administration and to Congress: We support refugee resettlement, oppose the refugee bans, and want to welcome each and every one of the 45,000 refugees we promised to resettle this year.
Take action today and tell Congress to oppose the administration's multiple refugee bans and all-time low cap on refugee admissions. Click to receive a phone call from a (202) number that will connect you with your 2 Senators and 1 Representative.
Our values are at stake. Turning away refugees is not who we are. Separating families is not who we are. More than half of the world's 22 million refugees are children. The administration's refugee bans and abhorrently low refugee cap are gut-wrenching for our community members who are waiting to be reunited with a family member, and for refugees overseas with no other option for safety than to be resettled, which is already their last resort.
Here are 4 more ways to take action:
- Meet with your Members of Congress when they're at home from December 15th-January 2rd.
- Amplify your message on social media and share why you're passionate about refugee and immigrant rights. Click here for a "Surviving the Holidays: How to talk to family about refugees & immigrants."
- Write Opinion Editorials and Letters to the Editor stating your support for refugees and your opposition to the ongoing refugee bans. Click here to view sample letters you can send and here for more resources.
- Hold a public event like this #WhereRtheRefugees Interfaith Vigil in Texas to lift up impacted refugee community members and push back on the latest refugee ban.
You can also take action by organizing or joining LOCAL CONGRESSIONAL VISITS TO SUPPORT REFUGEE RESETTLEMENT!
Click HERE to learn more!
- RCUSA refugee 101 backgrounder
- RCUSA background on the security screening process
- Refugee Resettlement State Profiles
- Letters and articles, national and state-by-state, demonstrating welcome for refugees
- Letter from former Secretaries of the Department of Homeland Security
- Letter to Congress from 20 Former National Security Officials
- Former U.S. Officials Sign Letter to President Trump Rejecting Revised Refugee Ban Executive Order
- Letter signed by more than 5,000 faith leaders affirming welcome for refugees
- 4,000 Catholic priests, religious brothers and sisters, and deacons continue broad support for refugee resettlement program
- Top evangelical leaders from all 50 states call on President Trump and Vice President Pence to support refugees
- Over 1,900 Rabbis support welcoming refugees
- 80 CEOs and business leaders across 12 industries call on President Trump to uphold refugee and immigration policies that affirm the equal opportunity of the American Dream
- 1,000 health care professionals sign letter to President Trump affirming support for refugees and resettlement
- Quotes from faith leaders in opposition to refugee executive order
- Stories of refugees impacted, including responses to the announcement from Syrian, Iraqi, Cambodian, and Bhutanese refugees.
Share This Message with Your State and Local Officials
Your state and local leaders need to hear the same message too. Tell them that your community opposed this announcement and welcomes refugees. To find your governor, state legislators, mayor, and local officials, click here: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials. To tweet your state and local officials, click to find the twitter handles for your governor and state legislators.